Registration for this workshop is for Mississippi Bend AEA staff only.
Speech-Language Pathologists are vital members of the IEP team and need to be knowledgeable and confident using instructional strategies with students and Special Education teachers to increase core vocabulary and access to the core curriculum. Speech Language Pathologists need to be proficient in differentiating instruction for students with complex communication needs.
We will use Jenna Rayburnís materials and Carole Zangariís systematic framework for semantic intervention in AAC which includes:
1. Introducing the new word(s) using focused aided language stimulation
2. Teaching the new word(s) with explicit instruction activities
3. Elaborating on the new word meanings with engaging practice activities
4. Providing repeated exposure to the new word(s) on an ongoing basis
5. Checking for understanding and reteaching
Teaching Core Vocabulary.
We will utilize the 5 Partner Skills of Communication to coach adult behavior to facilitate increased independence for students with complex communication needs. We will implement evidence-based practice by transitioning from topic specific communication boards to Core boards.
Up to 49 hours of CEUs may be earned based on
completed attendance logs.
Contact: Sara Green
Session Number: 7477
8/18/17 - 5/11/18
Registration closes 10/15/17.
$10 for CEUs
CEU verification forms will be given fall and spring based on registration and completed attendance logs.