Savvy Tools for Savvy Readers - Secondary - Summer 2020
Target Group: Secondary teachers, all content areas Participants will gain knowledge of book level, content level, and text complexity through an exploration of novels and/or non-fiction text.
The class is a 8-week online class. There will not be any face-to-face meetings. Participants will be required to check in weekly for discussions and assignment submissions. Using the District Digital Library will be part of the class. iPad access is not required but is highly recommended.
Requirements for the course:
Addresses Colorado Teacher Quality Standards: 1B, 2C
- Read 3 novels or 9 non-fiction quick reads or combination (3 non-fiction = 1 novel) that are content and age appropriate for your class
- Complete text complexity rubric for each
- Create a tool to monitor student independent reading
- Develop a “Recommended Reading List” for your class from books that are in the District Digital Library or that can be found in your school’s library
- Engage in the weekly discussion questions with a minimum of an initial response and at least one reply to another participant
- Final course assignment