Cultural/Linguistic Factors and the SPED Referral Process (online)
The waiting list for this class is full.Target group: Teachers, counselors, administrators (recommended for Special Educators, ESL Specialists, MTSS Liaisons. Welcome to Cultural/Linguistic Factors and the Special Education process! This PD is an opportunity to understand the critical components, i.e. MTSS, of the Special Education Referral process for students who are Culturally/Linguistically diverse. Participants will:
Participants will be expected to:
- investigate and learn why the MTSS process is critical for ELLs
- understand best practices for providing culturally responsive instruction
- research best practices for providing fair and appropriate interventions/assessments for ELLs
- summarize and share research findings regarding best practices for ELLs
- understand CDE guidelines for Special Education criteria for ELLs
- understand the SVVSD referral process for CLD students
- analyze CLD/SPED case studies/referrals for accuracy and completeness
- apply understanding of critical components when intervening with a CLD student
Familiarity with Schoology, copying files to your Google Drive, linking files from Google Drive to Schoology, and completing Google forms will be helpful.
- participate by logging in at least twice every week
- complete weekly readings and assignments by due date
- provide thoughtful responses to enhance discussions and assignments so they are grounded in experience and understanding of content.