The Center will hold a Summer Convening on June 19, 2018 to explore how we might re-imagine education through student and educator breakout sessions.
The Center is a coalition from across Iowa that facilitates networks of educators and community-based stakeholders who have a passion for meeting students where they are to co-create rigorous, authentic learning experiences.
The Center Summer Convening will have up to 60 breakout sessions that will allow us to learn from each other, including workshops to design an implementation plan.
To make this Summer Convening meaningful for all attendees, educational practitioners will share their knowledge and experiences through hands-on breakout sessions that model philosophies and practices from personalized learning, CBE, standards-based assessment and reporting (SBAR), blended, STEAM, work-based learning, community partnerships, and project-/problem-based learning (PBL), including the following strands:
• Time is Variable: Students advance upon demonstrated proficiency
• Deeper Learning: Students’ demonstration of competencies requires transfer of knowledge across content areas and/or beyond the classroom.
• Authentic Assessment: Students engage in assessment as a meaningful and positive learning experience.
• Just-in-Time-Supports: Students receive rapid, personalized support based on individual learning needs.
• Anytime/Anywhere Learning (for adults and students): Students’ learning is validated regardless of when, where or how they acquire and/or demonstrate the learning.
To earn License Renewal Credit:
Attend the Summer Convening and complete one or more micro-credentials (along with a learning log) selected from Bloomboard or another instructor-approved site.
Following the Convening, those seeking credit will complete at least one micro-credential learning opportunity for the second half of the credit. Visit Bloomboard for examples.
Participants can receive any support they might need in completing the micro-credential from the instructor and/or a teacher leader in their district. Choose to attend one or more optional face-to-face sessions for support as well; teacher leaders/administrators are encouraged to attend. These dates will be announced later based on need. More information and examples will given at the Summer Convening.
Contact: Andrea Stewart, Mississippi Bend AEA
Date of the Summer Convening: 6/19/18
Location: Van Meter Schools, Van Meter, IA
Lunch is provided.
Registration closes 6/1/18 for The Summer Convening.
$50 Registraion fee
Optional: $35 for 1 relicensure credit
This course is not offered for Drake credit.
Visit The Center for more information.