This is a four-day Quality Teaching for English Learners professional development institute for K-3 teachers of ELLs. The institute aims to improve educators’ capacity to provide high-quality literacy and language instruction for young English Language Learners using research-based literacy approaches.
The QTEL Institute on Early Literacy Development focuses on interrelated research-based approaches that unpack critical oral and written language practices that accelerate the literacy and language development of young ELLs:
• Promote extensive oral language development as students learn component reading skills
• Use structured heterogeneous peer-to-peer interactions about text to increase reading achievement
• Develop students’ metalinguistic and semantic understanding of language to increase vocabulary learning and text comprehension
• Engage students in teacher-directed interactive reading of high quality texts to increase literacy development in foundational skills and text comprehension
• Integrate oral and written literacy activities across content areas.
These five approaches form a coherent set of practices that develop the Iowa Reading Progression skills, the Iowa Core ELA reading practices, and language development for ELLs in grades K-3.
Sessions will engage educators in classroom exemplars that provide models of how to integrate the above practices. Teachers will both participate in and analyze these model lessons so that they have a strong understanding of the literacy and language theory that informs them. This deeper understanding provides teachers with tools and process to scaffold the teaching and learning of Iowa Core literacy standards and Iowa Early Literacy benchmarks in classrooms with ELLs. These exemplars will be a combination of QTEL designed lessons and modification of units developed by teachers and consultants working with the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency.
Instructor: WestEd Staff
Session Number: 6620
Dates: 2/24/15, 2/25/15, 4/2/15, 4/21/15
Time: 8:30 - 4:00, 1-hour lunch on your own
Location: Mississippi Bend AEA, Bettendorf
$170 for 1 Drake graduate credit
$100 for 1 Relicensure credit
$10 for CEUs; please check with your licensing agency to verify the appropriateness of course content. A CEU certificate will be provided after the completion of the course.
no cost for Audit/no credit option