This is the one of the three courses needed to earn a Paraeducator Certificate from the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
The series of three courses covers the competencies as directed by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners (BoEE). These competencies cover the skills needed for a paraeducator to be successful in the classroom.
The series is a total of 90 hours training that is a blend of face-to-face course time and online work.
After completing all three courses, the participant can finalize the online application. You may start the application process at any time at: Iowa Board of Educational Examiners - License Application
Items to be uploaded to the application site include:
• Copy of high school diploma or GED
• transcript from the paraeducator courses given at the end of the courses
• Finger prints/background check waiver is sent to the BOEE; this will be sent to you prior to the start of the course
Fees payable with the application:
• $40 application fee
• $75 background check fee
This course will cover the certification process. Participants will also cover, according to the competencies:
• recognizing the different developmental stages of students
• believing that every student can learn
• recognizing that each learner has unique learning needs that may require accommodations
• demonstrating knowledge of the common core, including competence in reading, writing, and math
• functioning in a manner that demonstrates a positive regard for the distinction between roles and responsibilities of paraeducators and other professionals, including respecting the teacher as supervisor and seeing the teacher as ultimately responsible for the education and behavior of the students.
To register for the additional two courses in the series:
Para Certification Course: Instructional Supports
Para Certification Course: Behavioral Supports
Course open to the public:
Date: Face to Face meeting: 7/10/18
Time: 8:00 - 4:30
8 hours of the 30 hours of class time will be face-to-face and then remaining work will be completed outside of class with instructor supervision.
Location: Mississippi Bend AEA, Bettendorf
Registration closes 7/8/18.
Please bring a laptop to class if you have one.
$130 Registration and materials fee payable upon registration